2 cups Long Grain Rice
1 Red Onion, sliced fine
1 cup Peas, defrosted
1 Red Pepper, sliced fine
5 Baby Courgettes, chopped small
Handful Fine Beans, chopped small
1 cup Vegan Protein, such as Tofu cubes or Vegan Chick’n
Handful Toasted Cashew Nuts
3 tbs Kecap Menis or Soy Sauce
3 Red Chillis
3 Cloves Garlic
1 tbs Tomato Puree
1 tbs Lemon Grass Paste
2 tbs Ground Nut Oil
1 tsp Sea Salt
Juice & Zest of a Lime
2 Shallots, peeled & sliced fine
500ml Vegetable Oil
Pinch Sea Salt
Drizzle Kecap Menis or Soy Sauce
Chopped Spring Onions
MethodWatch Tutorial Video
- First up getting your rice cooking to the packet instructions.
- Add all the sambal ingredients to a blender and blitz until it’s a smooth paste.
- Pre heat a wok over a high heat then add the 3 tbs of the sambal. Cook for a minute or so, stirring often.
- Add the vegetables and vegan protein & wok fry for 5-6 minutes.
- When your rice is cooked, drain away the water and add the rice to the wok. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan so the rice doesn’t stick & burn.
- Stir in the kecap menis & cashew nuts. When the rice is beautifully coated in all the flavours turn off the heat.
- I served my nasi goreng with crispy fried shallots, simply heat a small pot filled half way high with vegetable oil to around 180 degrees. (or dip a wooden spoon into the oil, if bubbles form around the wood – your oil is hot enough) And carefully lower in the shallots and fry for 2 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove the shallots from the oil & place onto a plate lined with kitchen paper, to drain off any excess oil.
- Serve & enjoy.