This is the most epic ultimate vegan Christmas roast wellington. Gone are the boring nut roasts, this recipe is game changing!! The flavours are incredible & it has a really meaty texture whilst being packed with Christmassy flavours. I hope you all try it because its literally FIRE!!
2 tbs Vegetable Oil
1 Onion, chopped fine
1 Leeks, chopped fine
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
Pinch All Spice
Pinch Ground Nutmeg
1 tbs Dried Sage
2 tsp Dried Rosemary
1/4 cups Dried Cranberries, chopped extra small
1/2 cups Dried Apricots, chopped small
1 cup Chestnuts, chopped small
1 cup Cider
1 cup Vegetable Stock
1 tbs Miso Paste
2 & 1/4 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
3 tbs Chickpea Flour
Spice mix rub
Rest of the Cider
2 Cups Veg
2 cloves Garlic
1 Bay Leaf
Handful Thyme & Rosemary
1 tbs Miso
2 tbs Balsamic
4 tbs Cranberry & Orange Sauce
1 block Shop bought Vegan Puff Pastry
3 tbs Maple
3 tbs Milk
4 tbs Vegetable Oil
MethodWatch Tutorial Video
- Sweat the onion, leeks, garlic, herbs with the seasoning & spices.
- Once soft add the dried fruit & chestnuts. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the cider, then add the stock & miso paste. Allow the mix to simmer for 2 minutes before turning the heat off.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Once the wet mix has slightly cooled add it to the dry ingredient bowl & mix well.
- Knead the mixture for at least 10 minutes. The pre heat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes whilst you clean up.
- Roll the dough into a sausage shape around 4’’ in diameter.
- Sprinkle the spice mix on your board & roll the dough into it until well covered.
- Wrap the dough in cheese cloth & tie each end.
- Place the wrapped dough into a deep baking tray with the rest of the roasting ingredients.
- Bake for 2 hours at 180 degrees C, on the bottom shelf – turning half way through cooking.
- Once baked, remove from the tray & allow to cool slightly before removing the cheese cloth.
- Roll out your puff pastry into a tea towel sized rectangle around 3mm thick. Score strips a 3rd of the way in the pastry on each side so you can make a lattice (optional – see video for tips).
- Brush the roast with cranberry sauce. Then place into the centre of the pastry & wrap. Brushing the glaze on when needed.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Whilst the roast in cooking, strain the roasting mix through a sieve into a saucepan pressing through the lovely juices. Place the saucepan over a low heat & allow the gravy to simmer for 10 minutes until thick, you can add a touch of flour if it’s too thin.
- Once the Roast is golden, carve & serve with the gravy.