Packed full of Mexican flavours & awesome textures. The are simply the best tacos I’ve ever eaten. I stuffed sweet peppers with jackfruit, the coated them in a Mexican beer batter. Served with pickled radidsh & red onion, fried plantain, and hot sauce.
2 tins Young Jackfruit in brine, drained & water squeezed out
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tbs Chipotle
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
Handful Fresh Coriander, chopped
Juice of 1/2 Lime
8 Large Jalapeños or Small Sweet Peppers, sliced down one side, seeds removed.
1/4 cups Buckwheat
1 cup Cornflour
1/4 cup Gram Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tbs Malt Vinegar
1 tsp Sea Salt
3/4 of a Bottle of Mexican Beer
Slice of Fried Plantain
Pickled Radish & Red Onion
Chopped Fresh Coriander
- Add the jackfruit to your ninja food processor. Blitz the mix until its chopped up fairly small.
- Place the chopped jackfruit into a clean tea towel & use the towel to squeeze out as much of the liquid out as possible.
- Add the jackfruit to a mixing bowl with the chipotle, coriander, garlic, seasoning & lime juice. Mix well.
- Stuff the jackfruit mix until your hollowed out peppers, compacting as much in as possible – I use a spoon for this. Its important that its pressed in so that it doesn’t fall out during cooking.
- Set the stuffed peppers aside and prepare the batter.
- Add the flours to a mixing bowl along with the seasoning, baking powder & vinegar.
- Whisk in enough beer so that its a pancake batter style consistency – see video for more info.
- Pre heat your oil over a medium heat. Only fill a large saucepan half way high. See video for important frying safety tips – and oil free cooking alternative.
- To test the oil is hot enough, dip a wooden spoon into it – if it bubbles around the wood the oil is out enough.
- Dip a pepper into the batter then carefully into the oil. Do not drop the pepper in. Only fry 2-3 at a time.
- Fry the peppers for around 4-5 minutes. Turing them over now and then using a slotted spoon or spider.
- When the peppers are golden, remove them from the oil & place them onto a tray lined with kitchen paper – to soak up any excess oil.
- Serve in tortillas/tacos with a slice of fried plantain (See video for demo) pickled vegetables such as red onion & reddish, hot sauce, coriander & lime juice.